Drug Addict and Alcoholic Pecking Order
By Ric Brown
Addict & Alcoholic Pecking Order... Really?
For as long as I have been around Alcoholics Anonymous, there has been a perceived, unspoken "pecking order" regarding drugs and alcohol. I suppose it’s typically egoic for us humans to trump ourselves up to appear a little better than those around them, but at times it can be downright comical! This unfortunate holier-than-thou syndrome can be summed up with the saying, "I crawled in here to look down on all of you." Here are a few examples:
- The alcoholics vilify the dopers... all of ‘em.
- The sophisticated cocaine sniff-only crowd looks down on the sloppy drunks.
- The crackheads slanderously refer to the coke snorters as wusses.
- The coke needle freaks disparage the crackheads as wimps.
- The needle freaks view the meth heads as smoky trailer park trash.
- The meth heads consider the pillheads pansies.
- The pillheads look down on the needle junkies as subhuman.
- The needle junkies look down on the opiate pill snorters as cream puffs.
- Meanwhile, the pill snorters wish they had the guts to load a needle.
- And at the bottom of the pile is the drunk, laying in the gutter believing he’s better than all of ‘em.
- That’s my perception. I suspect you’ve all experienced variations on the same theme. How would you rate ‘em? OH!!! By the way... A drug is a drug is a drug.
Resources: Addict & Alcoholic Pecking Order... Really?